This started out as a sleeveless Mathilde blouse but I couldn’t get it to stop looking like a 1950s maternity night gown so I improvised a little.
I cut straight down the middle of the shirt and folded in the edges to add button holes and buttons. And since the facing edges now show when the shirt falls open I used bias tape to cover them.
I added some shaping to the sides after I made the front opening to make it a little more flattering but now there’s some gaping on the back. It’s not so bad that I won’t wear it but it does bug me a little.
After wearing it for the day and looking at these pictures I think I’m going to go back and add one more button on the bottom.
This is the second Moneta dress I’ve made (the first here). The fabric is really soft and stretchy which has some pros and cons. I mean, the softness is obviously a pro but because it’s so stretchy the waist seam gets kind of pulled down throughout the day.
I shortened the bodice this time by almost two inches and had to bring the side seams in by half an inch as well. The fabric I used the first time was a bit thicker and more stable so the medium fit pretty well but I wish I had used the small for this fabric.
You can see where the seam in the back is pulling down a little here.
I love thrift stores! Before I really started really sewing I would alter the stuff I found at thrift stores by hand to fit better. Now I have a machine and can make stuff from scratch but I still love finding stuff that I think could look great with just a few quick tweaks. I found this shirt and thought the light weight fabric would be perfect for the hot summer but I’m not a fan of peasant sleeves. And it was just too big. This is kind of a crappy photo but I have since found both my camera remote and stand!
I took the sleeves off and just rolled in the edges as little as possible then slimmed down the sides and finished the edges with a zig zag stitch. The sleeve openings were an odd angular shape but luckily, because it was too big anyways, there was enough fabric there to change it.
And I found this guy that I can’t wait to makeover! I’m going to re-cover it with new vinyl or laminated cotton and give it a new paint job too.
I love these! Mostly I love the fabric but the pattern is also pretty good. I had a lot of fit problems. My measurements put me in between a ten and a twelve and since my fabric was a little stretchy I made a ten. But they were still huge. I took the back seam in by two inches and each side another inch. My hip to waist ratio is just funky I guess. Now that I know where I need to alter the pattern I’ll probably go down another size or two but grade the hips out to the ten.
I was also a little confused about the back pockets because I thought they were supposed to have a flap based on the pictures. They still maybe should?
Try to ignore the really messed up waistband stitching and look at the cute pocket lining!
Before I made these I read a few reviews that said the zipper instructions were a little confusing but I thought they were pretty good at explaining especially accompanied by this tutorial. It might be because I’ve never done one before so I have nothing to compare it to but it was much easier than I expected.
This is a new pattern from Colette Patterns. It’s a great knit dress pattern that comes with a lot of customization options. I will definitely be making this again but in a more casual fabric. I bought this fabric on clearance at Joann’s and I really like it but I want a dress that has more every day wear potential. I also want to try shortening the bodice about an inch so it hits at my natural waist more.
I love the pockets!
I didn’t have any trouble putting the pattern together or following the instructions but one note is that there were a lot of pages to print. I thought I had mistakenly printed out the pieces for every version but after frantically stopping the printer and double checking I realized there were just a lot more than I was expecting.
I was lucky enough to test the Parisian Top from the new Pattern Anthology collection a few days ago and I love it! This is the Just Add Jeans Collection and it’s full of things I could actually see myself wearing. My children’s to adult pattern ration is pretty rough so I’m really excited to start building it up some and make things for me to wear.
This top is for knits but the collar can be made with woven fabric as well. I really like when comfortable clothes also look good and this pattern fits the bill.
Close up of the collar and gathered sleeves. I was a little worried about the gathering here because I actually used a much lighter weight, almost shear, fabric for the sleeves and bands and wasn’t sure how finicky it would be. But it turned out fine!
The pattern was full of helpful hints and instructions that are very easy to follow. The bands on the bottom of the shirt and sleeves mean there’s no hemming and since it’s knit there’s no need to finish the seams, so it’s a pretty fast assembly. The fit was perfect for me (I made a small) although I added a few inches of length, but the pattern has since been adjusted to be longer.
I really wanted to try this pattern out as it was intended to be sewn. I did reduce the fullness in the bottom of the sleeves by about four inches and lengthened it overall by an inch and a half.
It was getting late when I took these pictures, and I had already worn the top all day but hopefully you can still see all the details.
Like these pleats! They aren’t super noticeable from far away because of the print but these little details really make the shirt seem professional.
These cuffs were so much easier to work with than I thought they were going to be. I guess that’s what happens when you’re used to working on tiny children’s clothes.