Button Up Instructions

DSC_0028

This might get a little long but it’s mostly because I felt like the collar part needed some extra explaining. And unfortunately most of the pictures were taken at night so they might not be the best. It took me a while to digitize this because I wasn’t 100% happy with the fit of the back and making it this time for the tutorial made me realize it’s still bugging me. So I might go back and make a few tweaks but only to the back bodice piece. I just want to get the collar to lay right so I’m going to try scooping out the neckline about an inch to see if it helps. I’ll update the pattern and post about it too if I end up making the changes.

DSC_0031 2

I added roughly one cm to each side of the back and front bodice pieces to enlarge the fit.

DSC_0044b

To start, the main collar pieces should be sewn together around the curved edges with the right sides facing and then turned right side out. Topstitch the curved side.

DSC_0049b

The collar attachment pieces should sandwich the main collar with the right sides facing and be sewn around the curved edges. Turn it right side out but do not topstitch like on the main collar.

DSC_0062

Press the unfinished sides of the attachment pieces towards the wrong side of the fabric.

DSC_0070

I didn’t take pictures of the bodice construction but it’s basically just sew the shoulders and finish the seams then bind the arm openings with bias tape before sewing the sides together. To attach the collar line up the middle of the collar with the middle of the back bodice piece, sandwiching it in between the attachment pieces.

DSC_0071

Slide the bodice into the collar until you get to the front openings. Fold the edges in to the wrong side twice to fit inside the collar opening.

DSC_0073

Sew all around the attachment piece’s perimeter, I like to topstitch on the outside of the shirt but it doesn’t really matter if one is easier for you.

DSC_0089

One pattern note: The separate piece is listed on the pattern as being 44″ X 11″ but I’m making a dress here so I used a piece that was 16″ tall and just cut it selvedge to selvedge.

Anyways, the skirt piece should be gathered but starting about an inch and a half away from the edges. When you attach the skirt to the bodice you’ll have to unfold the bodice edges from when they were folded to fit inside the collar.

DSC_0091

Finish the skirt/bodice seam and press it to the top then topstitch along the bodice edge. Fold both the left and right opening edges under to match the bodice and sew it down.

DSC_0096

Hem the bottom and add buttons and buttonholes evenly spaced along the opening. I used six buttons but I wish I had had a seventh to put them a little bit closer together. I’ll post the rest of the finished pictures tomorrow since this is already so long and picture heavy! And in case you missed it here is the pattern link again.

 

Step Stool Chair

DSC_0031

You may remember this chair I posted about here. Its gone from this to:

DSC_0001

this, to:

DSC_0055

this! It’s almost finished. I just want to paint the steps black and add a few more staples underneath the seat once I find where I put the box down.

DSC_0030

DSC_0091

I reused the upholstery nails from the old vinyl, not because I dig the old rusty look, but because I was just too lazy to go find new ones.

DSC_0079

This is the underside of the seat, I think it needs just a few more staples along the back but I put the box of staples down somewhere and now I can’t find them.

DSC_0007

A sneak peak of the Fourth of July dress I’ve been working on! It may or may not be worn on the fourth due to the tropical storm/hurricane making its way up the east coast.

Sucker for Seersucker

DSC_0062

Maybe it’s something about the south but I love seersucker. I found this on sale and only bought half a yard (which I’m now kicking myself for). I’ve been wanting to play around a little with modifying my dandelion dress pattern and this was the perfect amount for it. It might end up being a good thing I had so little or I’d go full on seersucker suit! Poor baby girl dodged a bullet.

DSC_0085

I really wanted these gathered straps on another dress I’m planning so I used this as a test.

DSC_0002

The modifications were pretty simple I just folded down the strap part of the pattern and extended the bodice below the arm opening.

DSC_0088

I ordered the buttons from here and wasn’t sure what to expect since the description is a little lacking but they were all really cute when I got them.

Mathilde Hack

DSC_0133

This started out as a sleeveless Mathilde blouse but I couldn’t get it to stop looking like a 1950s maternity night gown so I improvised a little.

DSC_0150

I cut straight down the middle of the shirt and folded in the edges to add button holes and buttons. And since the facing edges now show when the shirt falls open I used bias tape to cover them.

DSC_0121

I added some shaping to the sides after I made the front opening to make it a little more flattering but now there’s some gaping on the back. It’s not so bad that I won’t wear it but it does bug me a little.

DSC_0137

After wearing it for the day and looking at these pictures I think I’m going to go back and add one more button on the bottom.