This is a new pattern from Colette Patterns. It’s a great knit dress pattern that comes with a lot of customization options. I will definitely be making this again but in a more casual fabric. I bought this fabric on clearance at Joann’s and I really like it but I want a dress that has more every day wear potential. I also want to try shortening the bodice about an inch so it hits at my natural waist more.
I love the pockets!
I didn’t have any trouble putting the pattern together or following the instructions but one note is that there were a lot of pages to print. I thought I had mistakenly printed out the pieces for every version but after frantically stopping the printer and double checking I realized there were just a lot more than I was expecting.
I realized late last night that in my haste to post the tutorial yesterday I never added a picture of the final dress. It doesn’t really affect the tutorial not to have it since the directions are the same either way but I still wanted to share it.
Pockets! I don’t have a pattern piece for these but they’re pretty easy to eyeball. Just piece together two rectangles and top stitch it down.
You can see how my back collar pieces are a little funny looking. I had to fold the ends in on themselves to get them to fit and one side is a little shorter than the other but it’s not very noticeable when she’s moving around.
I almost used a different fabric for the top because I was worried about it looking a little beetle juice-y but I’m really glad I plunged ahead because I love how it turned out. And I have five yards of that striped fabric so I’m sure you’ll be seeing it again.
Trying to sign ‘all done’!
Tutorial and pattern can be found here.
I’ve been trying to make myself sew more simple play clothes lately. They’re not as interesting, in general, but they get worn the most and are more comfortable. And hopefully I won’t be tempted to go buy clothes when warmer weather hits. So when I saw this pattern I knew it would be perfect!
I shortened the bodice by about two inches to make it more of a tunic. Dresses tend to trip up and stretch out during crawling so I didn’t want to worry about the thin fabric tearing.
I plan on making this again with a contrasting skirt and when I do I think I’ll have to enlarge the arm openings a little as well. They fit because it’s a stretchy knit but I’m not sure how long that will last.
I still haven’t hemmed it because knit doesn’t fray and I’m paranoid that it will be the thing that goes wrong since everything else sewed up so easily. So I’ve been putting it off.