One More Sundress

DSC_0074

This used to be a women’s shirt I bought at the thrift store and I had just enough to turn it into a dress. I didn’t have enough to add the sleeve frills and I had to piece the bodice together but I really liked the embroidery so it was worth the effort.

DSC_0044

DSC_0131

DSC_0118

DSC_0018

We’re cat sitting the neighbors DITEEEE! Thats’s toddler for kitty.

Thrifty Finds

DSC_0012b2

I love thrift stores! Before I really started really sewing I would alter the stuff I found at thrift stores by hand to fit better. Now I have a machine and can make stuff from scratch but I still love finding stuff that I think could look great with just a few quick tweaks. I found this shirt and thought the light weight fabric would be perfect for the hot summer but I’m not a fan of peasant sleeves. And it was just too big. This is kind of a crappy photo but I have since found both my camera remote and stand!

DSC_0198

I took the sleeves off and just rolled in the edges as little as possible then slimmed down the sides and finished the edges with a zig zag stitch. The sleeve openings were an odd angular shape but luckily, because it was too big anyways, there was enough fabric there to change it.

DSC_0092b

DSC_0104b

DSC_0031

And I found this guy that I can’t wait to makeover! I’m going to re-cover it with new vinyl or laminated cotton and give it a new paint job too.

Another Refashion

And another Geranium! I couldn’t sew a whole weeks worth of clothes and not use this pattern at least once.

Geranium with pleats

I added the sleeves from another pattern even though I love the cap sleeves the pattern comes with, I wanted to add the bias tape to match the band between the bodice and the skirt.

Geranium sleeves

I like how they turned out although it’s not 100% what I imagined. I had to rip apart the seam once to reposition them and then still had to sew a small pleat at the bottoms to get them to lay correctly. I used matching thread though so it’s not very noticeable.

Geranium placket

Because this was refashioned from another dress the skirt was already sewn together at the sides which means there was no split to attach to the bodice opening. Hopefully that makes sense if you’ve sewn the pattern before. So to fix that I added a placket! I’ve never done that before so I’m still kind of high on the success. I used this tutorial but switched the direction of the opening. It was so helpful!

Geranium side

The skirt also had a small hi-low hem so I left that as it was because I think it’s cute. Sewing duh moment: I pinned and re-pinned and measured those pleats I don’t know how many times because when I folded the skirt and held it against the pattern it was the same size. How convenient I thought! But I didn’t take into account the seam allowances that would be in the pattern and so no matter how many times I redid it the pleated skirt wouldn’t fit into the bodice. I felt dumb when I realized and just eyeballed them from there.

35059810

I keep meaning to take pictures for a true before and after but get ahead of myself and just cut into everything before I remember. This was taken several years ago on one of our film cameras.

Remote phoneb

“Hello? I’m sorry I don’t get good service on my TV remote phone. I’ll have to call you back when I’m done making a big mess.”

Aaaaand! I’ve been working on something else over the week as well. I’m so happy with how this turned out and am working on getting everything together to share next week. But I couldn’t resist a sneak peek!

A line dress

I’m hoping to have the pattern uploaded by Monday and instructions/tutorial finished by Tuesday. For free! It won’t be graded and is about a 12-18 month size made for stretchy knit fabrics. They’ve been kind of a theme around here lately. Some baby thinks she can turn into a toddler and is walking, and climbing, and trying to run all over the place so comfy clothes are a must!

 

 

Linked to:

Friday Favs Party

Easy Swing Tee by Mad Mim

First, I’m officially participating in Kids Clothes Week! I had planned to just unofficially sew a long because I couldn’t find the button to sign up on their site. But umm, it was actually pretty easy and I don’t know why I couldn’t find it but the point is now I’m actually signed up!

Second, this is the second top I made! Lol. Here is the post about it on the creators blog, where you can also see what it should actually look like. Mine is less swing-y. I refashioned another old thing of mine and really wanted to use the existing hem so I just extended the sides straight down. And I didn’t have enough fabric to do the fold on the shoulders so I had an extra seam there as well.

DSC_0245b

But even with those changes this was still very easy to sew up.

holes in shirt

Unfortunately my old shirt had a few holes in it, which is why I never wore it in the first place. But necessity is the mother of invention!

Pocket to the rescue

So, I added a pocket to cover them. It’s kind of honey pot shaped to cover all the holes but I was pretty happy with how it came out. I know shirt pockets are on normally on the other side but it’s not like she’ll really use it anyways.

DSC_0174b2

These pictures just make me happy!

 

Linked to:

Sew Much Ado